Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Don't call it a sequel.

I don't want to say too much to say about it, other than I liked it. Its worth seeing.

The whole film was very Tim Burton-esque, as I expected, although it seems Disney did put a restrictor plate on the Tim Burton throttle. It is a family film after all. We now see Alice as a 19-year-old returning to her fantasy world, although she remembers it only as a recurring nightmare from her childhood. (Apparently, she shares the same nightmare as most of us. As a child, the 1985 adaptation haunted me for years). We see many of the same characters, only less frightening than I remember. Johnny Depp did well as the Mad Hatter, and Helena Bonham Carter was captivating as the red queen. I didn't particularly care for the character of the White Queen though, played by Anne Hathaway. The CGI characters were stunning, as was all of the animation. The mixture of live action and animation was seamless, and even many of the live actors were digitally enhanced, allowing them to fit perfectly into the world that Burton creates for us. I hear that the 3D version is awesome, however I can't speak to that fact, as I saw the regular version. I don't much care for 3D movies, and thought the "old-fashioned" 2D version was plenty stunning visually.

Because of the nature of the film (beloved classic, Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Disney, CGI dreamworld, 3D) there are many varied opinions about it. My advice is to ignore all reviews and just go see it. Whether or not you're amazed, it's worth seeing.

1 comment:

  1. Travis, I liked it a lot too. It felt a little like I was on drugs at first, but I really liked it. One of my favorite details was that all the tables, chairs and candelabras were held up by monkeys, pigs or frogs. The monkeys were the cutest. I didn't like all of the eyes being gouged out. I did like Johnny Depp. He's always really good at the quirky roles. Good review

    ReplyDelete